Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Confessions of a Summer Intern

Here I am at the beginning of my fourth week at Grassroots Productions Ltd. as a summer intern!! I have gotten a fairly good idea of what goes on around here and have had the pleasure of working with a fine group of ladies!( My very FIRST all-female, work environment, mind you.) This is quite the change for me, having been in several co-ed positions in my past jobs and trying to fight my collegiate-boy crazyness. No more extreme primping before work or major outfit-adjusting throughout the day in hopes that my “work crush” will be scheduled along side me. Just a friendly, low-stress, girl power work place, which turns out, suits me just fine! In my few weeks here, interspersed with the errand-running, letter-stuffing, letter-labeling, and trudging up and down Elm Street, have been some very valuable lessons, which I would like to share with you here!

1. Having a key made is not quite as easy as it looks.

2. Even your most reliable pair of comfortable flip flops will give you a fierce blister given the right weather conditions.

3. Mr. Cone has a very eclectic taste in music, including the musical stylings of Rabbe Soul.

4. Letter-stuffing and labeling, although unfortunately monotonous and slightly boring, is so crucial to getting the word out about Grassroots’ events.

5. Although a beautiful shoe, the Navajo Jack Rogers sandal, should not be worn when walking distances longer than 2 blocks.

6. Grassroots could not function without its amazing volunteers who work so hard to make the Fun Fourth Festival a success.

7. Making an easily-spinning pinwheel out of construction paper and a drinking straw is a lot harder than you’d think!

8. The Fun Fourth Festival is actually on the THIRD this year!

9. Canned foods can be sculpted into really amazing works of art. Everyone will get to see this in action at our Art Can! exhibit at the Fun Fourth Festival.

10. There are a lot of hidden treasure in downtown Greensboro that I am slowly discovering as my time at Grassroots continues (including Simple Kneads… yummm!).


These are just a few of the many lessons to come during my time as a summer intern. Hopefully I will do UNCG proud and be one step closer to that degree and becoming a member of the “real world”. I’m sure that in the following weeks leading up to the Festival I will have even more valuable lessons to share. Until then, if you spot me and Carissa running up and down Elm Street, stop us and say hi!

1 comment:

  1. Stephanie

    Welcome to Grassroots! We've enjoyed having you here and we are appreciative of the contributions that you are bringing to the team!

    A good life lesson to learn...cute shoes are not always comfortable. sigh.

    ReplyDelete