Wednesday, May 4, 2011

May the Fourth Be With You!

If you have been on Facebook or Twitter at all today you have probably figured out that it is Star Wars Day! May 4th is the day when all Star Wars fans come together and share their favorite quotes, scenes, and memories from the films. And of course greet each other by saying "May the Fourth be with you!"

Now I wasn't alive when the first Star Wars film came out, but from what I understand, it was pretty incredible. My dad saw the first movie in theaters seven times. And this is why. Because in the first scene when the space craft appears on the screen as if it is literally flying right over the audience, it changed his life. He always used to talk about how amazing it was. He had never seen anything like it. You should also know that he sent me a text message today that read, "Do or do not. There is no try," his favorite quote from Master Yoda.

My generation did, however, grow up during the second wave of films. My brother and I had Episode I on VHS (that's the little black rectangle that goes in a VCR in case you forgot) and we watched it every day for an entire summer. Every. Day. Then when I was in high school me and my friend got lightsabers for Christmas and when summer came around we had a battle in my backyard. To close the generational gap, when the final installment of the movies came out, me and my dad lined up outside the movie theater for the midnight showing. When I showed up at school the next day running on three hours of sleep my teachers were shocked that my dad had not only allowed, but encouraged this activity. "Did your father know you were there?" "Yeah he was in the theater before I was!"

So the phenomenon continues. It seems like everyone, whether they are fans or just saw Star Wars once, has some sort of story to tell about the movies. I would say there isn't a person who has been alive at some point in the past thirty years who hasn't come in contact with the Force at least once. But if there is a chance I am wrong, the entire saga comes out on Blu-Ray in September. Then we can all celebrate together next May 4th!

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes."
-Yoda, Episode V

No comments:

Post a Comment