Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Best Thing I Ever Ate

You know the feeling you get when you eat something truly delicious? Like you know that you will never taste anything else like it and even though you're full you can't stop eating it. This is one of my favorite feelings in the world. I love to be full. Because I am an eater. Now an eater is not to be confused with a foodie. A foodie is someone who knows a lot about food, who is picky in his selection of grub, and who has a pallet that is trained to know the difference between something tasty and something phenomenal. This is not who I am.

I am an eater. I am constantly hungry, incapable of functioning without snack time, and will eat most anything put in front of me whether I want to eat it or not. For example, two nights ago I was trying to figure out what I wanted for dinner. I decided to have a snack while I pondered the options in the fridge. In the fridge there was plain Greek yogurt. I love Greek yogurt. I hate almost anything plain. But I thought, it might not be so bad - I'm starving. Unfortunately it was bad. But I kept eating...because I'm an eater. Like that caterpillar in the book that ate everything until it became so fat it turned into a butterfly. You know what I'm talking about.

So after I had eaten about 1/3 of the yogurt, I decided to make it better I would add blueberries. I also do not particularly care for blueberries. And in this case they made the tart yogurt extra tart with every bite. So after the blueberries were gone I thought about adding sugar to my yogurt to make it less gross and more like ice cream. We didn't have any sugar though, so I added several drops of vanilla extract. I am pretty sure after this experience that vanilla is an ingredient like eggs that should never be eaten before cooking. It made my yogurt taste kind of like a liquor and that was about it. Vanilla extract is 35% alcohol in case you were wondering.

At this point you are probably thinking that this is the most ridiculous snack you have ever heard of and that the whole situation could have been avoided if I had either 1. Not opened the yogurt I know I don't like or 2. Stopped eating the yogurt that I confirmed I don't like long before it escalated how it did. But that is how eaters are. We want food all the time. It doesn't have to be good, it doesn't have to be cooked, it just has to be in our mouths. Examples of other eaters: goats, pigs, Cookie Monster. The list could go on similarly for days.

The point of this post then is this, when an eater eats something really, really yummy an eater knows. Because at least 50% of the things an eater puts in his mouth are gross. So when all of the sudden something is melt in your mouth delicious it stands out among all other food - not because an eater is a connoisseur of food, but because an eater eats...all the time.

That being said, I had such an experience last night when I had banana pudding from Clara Marie's Southern Bakery. It was whip-creamy and had some kind of crumbly graham cracker crust. It was amazing. And she makes this stuff in her house! I couldn't believe it. So, if you are a foodie or an eater or simply a hungry person I highly recommend trying her out. Coincidentally, Clara Marie's will also be at the Fun Fourth Festival and they will be selling the banana pudding, so you can come have some there and let me know what you think!

1 comment:

  1. Clara Marie's Nanner Puddin is delicious

    ReplyDelete