Thursday, April 8, 2010

In foul, fetid, fuming, foggy, filthy Philadelphia!

Many years ago, during one of my family's summer vacation road trips, we stopped for a couple days in Philadelphia. I don't remember much about Philly, except that it was very, very hot, and that we ate at the Hard Rock Cafe and I got a shirt. The main reason for our stop there was to visit Independence Hall, and it definitely didn't disappoint. When we looked in the room where the Continental Congress met, I thought, "It looks just the way it's supposed to." When we walked through the lobby, I pointed at the stairs and said to my dad, "Look, that's where Franklin, Jefferson and Adams sang about the egg! And that's where they did the kick line down the stairs!"

In case you were wondering, yes, I'm aware that the Founding Fathers did not sing or dance down stairs (or did they?). But when we were wandering around Independence Hall, as amazing as it was to be in the place where some of the most important events in our nation's history took place, a good chunk of my excitement came from my recognition of the surroundings. I'd never been to Independence Hall before, but I had seen the movie 1776 more times than I can count.



1776 is a musical that tells the story of how the Declaration of Independence came to be written and ratified. The movie adaptation of this Tony Award-winning show is one of my all-time favorites, because it caters to my inner musical theatre nerd as well as my history nerd side.

The Fun Fourth Festival is proud to present 1776 on stage at the Carolina Theatre on July 1st, 2nd and 4th, and I, for one, cannot wait to see it. Directed by JP Swisher, the show will feature some of the finest actors in the Triad, and will certain-LEE (see below...hehe!) be an entertaining and educational experience for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment