Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Happy Holidays!

I know, I know. I am worse than Target putting out bathing suits in January to "get ready for summer." But I just can't help it. I love the holidays and with Halloween being over and it already snowing in New York, I feel that there is no better time than the present (pun definitely intended) to start getting excited!

This holiday season is going to be one of firsts for me. My first Thanksgiving with my husband, my first real Christmas tree, the birth of my first niece. So you can imagine that I am extra excited. But every year there are things that I always look forward to. My very favorite things that come around this time of year, every year, that make this season so much fun and so special to me. Here are a few:

1. Our non-Thanksgiving Thanksgiving. In my family, we don't cook a huge meal and gather at someone's house. We make a reservation at a restaurant and have some poor person who has to work on Thanksgiving cook and serve us food. There are no groceries to buy and no dishes to wash. It is simple and stress free and I love it.

2. Black Friday. Every year, my husband and I are among those people you see on the news, shivering and miserable standing outside Best Buy at 3:00 in the morning. There is usually one big ticket item we are after, but for the most part we just wander around stores picking up DVDs and various other knick-knacks that are so cheap on this glorious day of shopping. Then around 10 AM we get breakfast, head home and have a marathon of all our new movies. Also, being crammed into a small space with hundreds of other cold and sleep deprived people is the best recipe for something interesting/hilarious to happen to you. Last year, I saw a guy start to hyperventilate because he wanted a video game out of a glass case. He started yelling and screaming and was almost crying because this video game was behind glass and out of his reach. Then a Target employee walked up and simply slid the glass open. Amazing.

3. Holiday Music. I'm a fan of the traditional songs, but I also love this time of year for all the new renditions and entirely new songs that come out. Here is my favorite from last year by Blackalicious.

4. Pumpkin Pie. I think they actually have this all year long, but I never really notice it or want it until right around November. I've already eaten two whole pies.

5. Festival of Lights! I have actually been working at Festival of Lights since high school. We are going to have some really fun new things, like FestQuest, a scavenger hunt contest, mixed in with all your favorites from years past. It's going to be a great time, I promise!

Now that you know what I love about this time of year, I want to hear what it is that gets you excited for the holidays! Maybe its something I like too! Leave me a comment here or email me at administration@grassrootsproductionsltd.org

No comments:

Post a Comment