Monday, April 25, 2011

Best Week Ever!

As you probably already know, it is Royal Wedding Week. Friday morning at 4am (our time) Prince William will be marrying his long term girlfriend Kate Middleton. I could not be more excited. I spent most of the day trying to think of something deep and thought provoking to blog about, but I just couldn't. Not only that, but I stayed up way past my bedtime last night watching the Lifetime movie about how the couple met. Don't judge.

It is pretty weird to think, though, how captivated everyone is with the whole thing. I mean I didn't even know Prince William had a girlfriend until he got engaged. I don't even really know that much about England. And I am still really confused about which one is the Queen. The Queen or the Queen Mother? But here I am, unable to live a normal life because the sheer excitement of the whole thing is taking over my very being. I have heard on the news that over a billion people are expected to watch the wedding this weekend. A BILLION. It is safe to assume that there is no chance in this world a billion people will read this blog, ever.

I'm not sure what it is exactly that has everybody going so nuts. It could be the whole "Kate is a modern day Cinderella" concept. Or it could be that we are all just fascinated with any party that costs over ten million dollars. As a PR major I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what it is exactly that draws people in. How, in a world where every one is in constant information overload, do you get someone to slow down and look at your website or watch the Lifetime movie about your life? When we are confronted daily with junk mail, mass texts, infomercials and spam, how does our mind pick out what isn't trash and decide it is something we are interested in? And even more curious, what is it about the decidedly trashy stuff, like TMZ and the Bachelor, that tricks our brains into putting it into our mental inboxes?

I don't really know the answer. I can tell you that I read The New York Times every morning online and watch E! News every night when I get home. I can tell you that I had my first letter to the editor published when I was in the seventh grade, that I was the editor of my high school newspaper for two years, that I worked as a staff writer for the High Point Enterprise, and that I have a B.A. in Journalism and Mass Communication from UNC Chapel Hill, but there is not one thing about any of it that is going to keep me from checking Perez Hilton in about ten minutes to see if Lindsay Lohan is going back to prison. It is illogical.

So the thing is, I don't really believe that our jobs or our degrees or our families determine what media we are interested in. I don't think there is really a way to chart and graph why people like what they like. That being said, I'm going to need to know what kind of uncharacteristic things all of you like. I can write to this made up demographic of "people who like the Fun Fourth" or "people who know people that work at Grassroots," but that would be silly since we have just determined that even if you fall into those categories, you might care less about reading about it.

BUT, I also want to know, just because I'm nosy, why what you are interested in is unusual. So I think everybody who reads this should leave me a comment describing themselves as such:
Expected Characteristic-Surprising Characteristic

I, for example, might comment:
Journalism snob-Celeb gossip enthusiast
or
Indie music aficionado-Obsessed with Rebecca Black

Think about it and let me know! Seriously. I am getting bored of just reading my own thoughts over and over...tell me yours!

And enjoy the wedding this weekend! Admit it, you will be watching.

2 comments:

  1. I think we watch the panoply of the British Royal Family, secretly regretting that we had to give that up to gain freedom from tyranny from that same Royal Family. It represents roots and history that we feel we abandoned as the price of independence. Ok, that and who doesn't love carriages and 25 ft. trains on dresses and the hope of romance.
    British history buff -- American Revolution enthusiast
    Shakespeare fan -- reality TV junkie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blog! Great insight. My viewpoint is so much more elementary...I just want to be Cinderella! I watched Diana's wedding, the news of her death and funeral. I just want the fairytale to continue! Maybe a nice tea and crumpet party Frday...who's in?

    ReplyDelete